Wednesday, April 18, 2007

New Beginnings

TYLER DANIEL CHRISTENSEN

Born: April 15, 2007

Weight: 6 lbs. 14.5 oz
Length: 21.5 in.

And absolutely BEAUTIFUL!







My real doctor who was on vacation until the day after I delivered...bummer!

Sweetest face ever!



Leaving the Hospital


Hanging out at home



Photo Therapy Light


Such a good Daddy!


Here are some pics of the birth and after of our baby boy. He was due on the 30th of April, so I wasn't expecting to have my water break on the evening of the 14th. Sam and Ali came back through Phoenix on the 14th on the way home from Texas and were able to help us get the last few things we needed for his arrival just in the nick of time! After shopping we enjoyed a nice dinner with Jim, Lorrelle and fam and Sam and Ali at the Macaroni grill. Luckily I ate a lot because a few hours later at 11:30 my water broke.

Dan and I took our time getting to the hospital. I really just wanted to sleep at home and go in the morning, but we were told more than once to go straight to the hospital, so we did and got there at about 1:00 am. I wasn't having any signs of labor, so I thought that they might send me home, so when they told me we weren't leaving the hospital until the baby was born I was really excited, but also a little nervous! I was also a little sad because I had been going to a great OB through the whole pregnancy and chose her specifically because she delivers all of her patients instead of just whoever is on call in an OB group, but unfortunately she was out of town until Monday...just one day too early!

We were then taken to a Labor, Delivery, and Recovery room and set up with an IV where I requested we just rest until morning time to get started on the pitocin (which induces labor.) The doctor on call wanted to start at about 5 am, I was thinking more like 9 am, but that didn't work out. So around 5:30 I started having some pretty intense contractions and pretty much though that I wouldn't make it. The doc wanted to get us moving and get the baby out as soon as possible, so I got my epidural!!! shortly there after. The anesthesiologist came in really quickly and did a great job...the IV hurt worse than the shot going into my spinal column.

After I was numbed up I was doing great and just rested for a few hours until they came in and said I was dilated to a 9 and was almost ready. It all went really fast and everything went so well. Finally it was time to push, which was the hardest part and that lasted for an hour, it would have been shorter, but his face was pointed up instead of down, so he had quite the cone head when he came out. Luckily it went away within hours.

Basically, it was a very easy and enjoyable pregnancy and a smooth and basically easy delivery. I feel extremely blessed.


As for now, Tyler has a little jaundice and has lost some weight, so we are giving him photo therapy and trying to feed him as much as he can stand! The doc says there isn't anything to worry about, but they want to keep an eye on him for a while since our blood types are different and that can increase the jaundice.

Tyler is an angel baby. He doesn't ever cry unless we are really bugging him (i.e. changing diapers or clothes) and even then they are more whimpers than cries. He sleeps a lot and is eating pretty well. He is a joy to have in our home and Dan and I are so in love with him, we can't get enough. Plus, he is basically the
cutest baby in the world...and I am not even being bias!